The latest update on car theft – Cape Town Central Police Station
A new trend has emerged in the world of automotive crime: “SIGNAL JAMMING“.
Police around the country have started report car theft where there are no forced signs of entry. Signal jamming devices have become available to criminals whether they are buying it or simply making it themselves.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Victims park their car and attempt to lock them. However the perpetrator/s are lying in wait with a remote jammer. It isolates the signal of your car’s remote lock and stops it from getting locked.
The act of stealing your valuables is simple and no one would suspect the criminal because he could just pretend that it is his/her car.
Besides, the victim has no idea that the perpetrator has stopped the locking process and now has access to their car and valuables in the car.
HOW TO KEEP THIS FROM HAPPENING
The answer is really simple: Just make sure your car is locked by manually testing it.
- Never push the lock button as you are walking away, better safe than sorry
- Keep an eye out for your surroundings and any suspicious people around the area
- Report any suspicious behaviour to the South African Police Service as soon as you can
- Never leave valuables in the car
- Radio Room – 021 467 8001/2
- Ops Room – 021 467 8006/7