COVID-19 has hit our local businesses hard, and the impact will last for a long time to come. We want to support the community spirit which has been so evident these last few months and encourage residents to invest in their neighbours. To do this, we’re spotlighting one local business each month.
This week we spoke to Renée, owner of International Hair & Make-Up Artist, to find out about her experience of working in the Oranje-Kloof area, and how she has dealt with the pandemic.
Tell us about your business and why you’re based in the GP/OKCID area.
My business is called International Hair & Make-Up Artist, established on 14 September 2004. What makes my business unique is the high standard of hairdressing services, hair styling services and make-up artistry I offer. I enjoy running my business in the GP/OKCID area because it is lively, vibrant and friendly.
How has this pandemic affected your business?
I still offer my full range of salon services, such as hair cutting; evening up-styles; hair colouring; chemical services and treatments for men, women and children, however my clients’ health and safety is my top priority, so I provide a more sterilised and personalised environment.
– Clients are required to wear their face mask whenever possible, and I am sure to wear my mask at all times.
– Their temperatures are checked on entry and hands sanitised.
– Should their temperature be 37.5 degrees or above, they are not permitted to enter the Hair and Make-up Studio.
– A health questionnaire is to be completed on arrival, and customers’ names and phone numbers are recorded for contact tracing in the event of another client reporting symptoms.
– Surfaces and workstations are cleaned and disinfected between use.
Have you felt the presence of the GP/OKCID in your area, and has it helped your business in any way during this pandemic?
I am constantly aware of the GP/OKCID presence in my area and am able to call on them quickly, should the need arise. The pandemic has not affected their availability in my area.
What advice would you give to other businesses, based on your experience of keeping yours running during this pandemic?
Remain positive and keep on being there for each other. This too shall pass. All will be well.
Take a look at Renée’s work on her website. Whether you would like hair and make-up done for a special occasion, or work in the film and fashion industries, you can contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, you can call her on 021 426 4479 or 082 649 5502.